Sexually Transmitted Infection Checks
What is Sexual Transmitted Disease (STD) Screening?
Our doctors can order urine or blood tests to check for:
Types of Sexually Transmitted Diseases
There are three types of STD disease agents; these are:
- Viruses (human papillomavirus, genital herpes, HIV)
- Bacteria (gonorrhoea, syphilis, chlamydia)
- Parasites (trichomonas)
While sexual activity may be responsible for spreading some infectious agents, it is also possible to contract a STD without sexual contact. For example, Hepatitis A, B and C viruses, shigella, and Giardia do not necessarily require sexual contact.
What are the Symptoms of STDs
STDs can be present in many forms and may also be asymptomatic. Some symptoms may include:
- Sores or bumps on the genitals, mouth or anus
- Painful or burning urination
- Discharge from the penis
- Pain during sex
- Sore, swollen lymph nodes, particularly in the groin
- Unexplained fever or rashes
While these symptoms may not be a definitive guide, you are advised to make an appointment with our practice to seek advice and testing.