Pelvic Floor Prolapse
The main cause of vaginal prolapse is weakness in the muscles, tissues, and ligaments that support the vagina and surrounding tissues and organs.
The factors that can cause vaginal prolapse include:
- Frequent lifting of heavy objects
- Chronic cough
- Severe constipation
- Previous surgeries in the pelvic area
- Advanced age
Treatment Options for Pelvic Floor Prolapse
Treatment options include:
- Pelvic floor exercises
- Lifestyle changes - avoid heavy lifting, constipation
- Local oestrogen treatment
- A Pessary, a removable device fitted in the vagina to reduce pain and pressure of pelvic organ prolapse
If non-surgical treatment does not reduce the symptoms of pelvic organ prolapse, then surgery is considered. There are several types of surgeries to correct the different types of pelvic floor prolapse.
The surgery can be performed laparoscopically or through the vagina, depending on the nature of the prolapse.